Heart Rate Coherence and Spirituality,an Overview
- The purpose of this page is to understand a particular methodology that people can use to reduce stress in their lives.
- Recently I studied Heart Rate Variability at a course called HRVCourse which has a strong background in science and gives lots of references to original scientific papers.
- I became convinced that Heart Rate Coherence (aka Respiratory Sinus Arrythmia} is a good indicator of the activity of the Para-Sympathetic Nervous System.
Implications for Spirituality
- Our Autonomic Nervous System has two major parts, the Sympathetic Nervous System and Para-Sympathetic Nervous System.
- The Sympathetic Nervous System is associated with Fight, Freeze and Flight activities
- The Para-Sympathetic Nervous System is associated with Rest, Digest and Reproduce activities.
- An active Para-Sympathetic Nervous System has the same characteristics as the state that seekers after Spirituality seek.
- Things like calmness through lack of fear, trust that everything is OK even when things happen that we don't like (Acceptance), concern for others, etc.
- So maybe seekers of Spirituality are really seeking to activate their Para-Sympathetic Nervous System
Would you like to increase your Para-Sympathetic Nervous System and feel less stressed out?
- There are many approaches to increasing Spirituality.
- One way may be to undertake practices that increase Heart Rate Coherence and thus the activity of the Para-Sympathetic Nervous System
- If you have a SmartPhone or an iPhone you can track your Heart Rate Coherence easily. See for example by using the HeartRatePlus app.
- Then you can develop techniques which increase your Heart Rate Coherence, i.e. use a biofeedbackapproach.
- HeartMath certified Coaches and Mentors are trained to support people in learning how to this. You can find a certified HeartMath Coach by clicking here.
- Investigate support offered by the HeartMath(r)] organization,
- O'Hare discusses ways of increasing Heart Rate Coherence
- But knowledge of these ideas will not support you very much in increasing your Spirituality.
Do it, Do it, Do it
- O'Hare recommends 365 , i.e. practicing three times a day, six deep breaths at 10 second intervals, for five minutes.
- Click here or call 805-308-1411 if you would like some support in practicing Heart Rate Coherence as a way of gaining more emotional stability in your life, feel less stressed out and experience less anxiety
- If you would like to join an online video-conferencing support group, please e-mail me.
- If you are interested in supporting the work and research I do on Heart Rate Coherence you can send a donation ($10 would be nice) by clicking here. Each time I receive a donation , I feel thrilled because it tells me my efforts are being seen as making a contribution to other's well-being.
- This page may be reached at and printed out from http://overview.livingcoherently.com .
HeartMath is a registered trademark of Quantum Intech, Inc. For all HeartMath trademarks, go to www.heartmath.com/trademarks
- Click here if you are interested in reading about some concerns that people have expressed about the HeartMath organization.